In my second installment of budget green beauty finds, I’m sharing my top picks for sunscreen without oxybenzone and octinoxate. Mineral sunscreens are becoming more widely available and it’s the time of year where you should be wearing sunscreen on a daily basis, especially when spending a long time outside.
Most mineral sunscreens are made with zinc oxide or titanium oxide as the physical barrier against UVA and UVB rays. These are both clean broad-spectrum options but they sometimes have the unwanted side effect of leaving your skin with a white cast. So I’ve rounded several affordable options and a few of them won’t leave your skin looking pale.
Why You Should Switch to Safer Sunscreen
Mainly for your skin’s health and environmental protection! Conventional sunscreen often contains quite a few questionable ingredients which include:
- oxybenzone – absorbs through the skin quickly and in high amounts, causes photoallergenic reactions, kills coral reef and has now been banned in several places around the world, endocrine disruptor
- octinoxate – has been shown to have hormone-mimicking effects on laboratory animals, detected in mothers’ milk samples, also kills coral reef
- fragrance – umbrella term used to hide thousands of ingredients so who knows what’s really in it
- parabens – possibly linked to breast cancer, endocrine disruptor
All of these natural sunscreens listed below are cleaner options than conventional but check the ingredients to look for any ingredients you want to avoid. Some use essential oils or phenoxyethanol and I know some people like to avoid those ingredients. If you want more information on ingredients check out my post on nontoxic skincare.
This post contains affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will make a commission if you click through to make a purchase. Please read our disclosure policy for more details.
Facial Sunscreen Without Oxybenzone and Octinoxate
- Derma E Natural Mineral Sunscreen Face SPF 30 Oil-Free Face Lotion $13.43 – This one doesn’t leave a white cast and is matte so it wears well under makeup.
- Alba Botanica Very Emollient Sunscreen Facial Mineral Protection SPF 20 $7.99 – not greasy, good for daily wear
- Bare Republic Mineral Face Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 – This one rubs in well and has tons of good reviews. It’s available on Amazon and very affordable.
- Babo Botanicals Daily Sheer Sunscreen SPF 40 Extra Sensitive for Face $16.76 – leaves a slight white cast and does not wear well under makeup
- Kimberly Sayer Ultra Light Facial Moisturizer SPF 30 $33 – great for oily and acne prone skin, very lightweight, and no white cast!
BONUS: Blissoma Photonic Light Shifting Solution SPF 25 Broad Spectrum Facial Sunscreen + Moisturizer $52 – no white cast at all with this one and doubles as a primer! I know the price isn’t affordable but this is the best mineral facial sunscreen I’ve tried so I had to include it as a bonus.
Body Sunscreen Without Oxybenzone and Octinoxate
- Alba Botanica Hawaiian Clear Spray Sunscreen SPF 50 $11.19 – spray, clear, waterproof, and unscented
- Babyganics Baby Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50 $8.15 – This is a favorite and widely available. Can be used all over by everyone. It goes on white but dries clear, is easy to rub in, has a semi-matte finish, and absorbs well.
- Blue Lizard Sport Sunscreen SPF 30 – Another extremely popular sunscreen because of how well it performs. Widely available and really affordable, I linked to Amazon above.
- MyChelle Dermaceuticals Sun Shield Clear Stick SPF 50 $9.50 – This one is not exactly clear but it comes pretty close and some even use it on their face.
- Badger Unscented Sport Sunscreen SPF 35 $13.59 – This one is thick, a bit difficult to rub in, and leaves a white cast but it’s very effective.
- Elemental Herbs All Good Sport Sunscreen SPF 30 $12.89 – leaves a bit of a white cast, not too greasy but very clean ingredients and works really well.
- Raw Elements Daily Lifestyle 30+ SPF Pump $19.99 – a more lightweight version of their very popular waterproof sunblock
- Suntegrity Unscented Body Sunscreen SPF 30 $24 – rub this in well and you won’t have any white cast, small container for the price
- Elemental Herbs All Good Kid’s Sunscreen Butter Stick SPF 50+ $13.02 – very creamy and rubs in, slight white cast
- Babo Botanicals Sheer Zinc Sunscreen For Extra Sensitive Skin SPF 30 Fragrance Free $17.67 – Spray container and waterproof to 80 minutes
- Devita Natural Skin Care Solar Body Moisturizer $21.62 After rubbing in it won’t leave a white cast, not waterproof
LOOKING FOR MORE BUDGET NATURAL BEAUTY FINDS?
In addition to reading my posts on affordable clean beauty, be sure to download my Ultimate Guide to Green Beauty On A Budget which is a free 10 page download with everything you need to help you switch over to natural skincare and makeup without breaking the bank. It has information on ingredients, certifications, budget brands and shops, and my favorite products with shoppable links! Click the image below to download your free guide.
If you found this helpful, please share and pin!