Are you looking for affordable curly girl method approved products to start the curly girl method? We all know switching to the Curly Girl Method can get expensive as you experiment with different curly girl method products or if you're a product junkie.
Finding affordable AND clean curly girl approved products almost seems like a unicorn, but lately, more brands are coming out with products that fall into this category. Lucky for you, I've rounded up over 50 affordable curly girl products!
If you're new to embracing your curls, be sure to join my free 5 day email course and download my getting started guide.
How to tell if hair products are curly girl approved
If you have my getting started guide, you already know this. But you can also do it the easy way.
Check if products are curly girl approved by using the site isitcg.com. You just search for the product or paste the ingredients in and it will tell you if it's CG approved or not.
Curly Girl Approved Shampoo
- Acure Mega Moisture shampoo
- Acure Lemongrass shampoo (this shampoo is not clarifying even though it says it is on the label)
- Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo (also not clarifying but it's not very moisturizing)
- Desert Essence Organic Pure Shampoo Fragrance Free
- SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo
- Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo & Conditioner – 8 oz.(Bundle)
- As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner – 16oz
- Cantu Cleansing Cream Shampoo
- Everyone Balance Shampoo
- Inahsi Soothing Mint Sulfate Free Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
Curly Girl Approved Clarifying Shampoo
*Note: to be clarifying a shampoo must have the ingredient olefin sulfonate
- Kinky Curly Come Clean clarifying shampoo
- Mop Top Gentle shampoo
- Mop Top Detox clarifying shampoo
- Inahsi Naturals clarifying shampoo
- Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo
Curly Girl Approved Conditioner
- Aubrey Organics – White Camellia Conditioner
- Desert Essence Fragrance Free Conditioner
- Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat conditioner
- Desert Essence Conditioner Coconut
- Nature's Gate Jojoba Revitalizing Conditioner
- SheaMoisture 13 oz Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
- Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
- Mop Top Daily Conditioner
- Mop Top Light Conditioner
- Everyone Volume Conditioner
- Alaffia Everyday Shea conditioner
- Andalou Naturals Brilliant Shine conditioner
Curly Girl Approved Leave-in Conditioner
- Giovanni Direct Leave-in conditioner
- Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in conditioner
- Andalou Naturals Argan Oil leave-in conditioner
- Curls Blueberry Bliss leave-in conditioner
- Mop Top Bamboo Essence leave-in conditioner
- Cantu Natural leave-in conditioning cream
Curly Girl Approved Deep Conditioner
- SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque
- Andalou Naturals Deep Conditioning Hair Mask
- Pacifica Pineapple Hydrate Mask
- Garnier Fructis Avocado mask
Curly Girl Approved Styling Products
- Giovanni L.A. Natural gel
- Giovanni Natural Mousse
- As I Am Smoothing Gel, 8 Ounce
- Garnier Fructis Style Pure Clean Styling Gel
- Garnier Fructis Style Curl Treat Shaping Jelly
- Shea Moisture Weightless Styling Mousse
- SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie, 12 oz.
- SheaMoisture 7.5 oz Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse
- Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk 8 oz
- SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Souffle – 12 oz
- Kinky Curly Curl Custard Gel, 8 oz
- Uncle Funky's Daughter
- Everyone Style Hair Gel
- Mill Creek Styling Gel
- Mop Top Curly Hair Custard
- Cantu Shea Butter Hair Curling Custard
- Eco Styler Gel Olive Oil
Curly Girl Method Accessories
I'll only mention a few of the accessories I use on a regular basis to help keep my curls looking good and last between washes. None of these are necessary but they help.
- Hair buff
- hairdryer and this diffuser attachment (yes it fits the dryer)
- silk pillowcase
- satin pillowcase
- root clips
- hair towel use code HOLISTICENCHILADA to save 15%
Product Matching Guide
You should also check out my product matching guide, The Curly Product Handbook, to help you choose the right products for your hair type. There are so many things to consider when choosing products and this guide will help you narrow down what you need to look for.
This product guide will help you identify your hair type and characteristics, provide some styling tips, and list exact products that will work on your hair type. Click here for more info.
A Note on Affordable Curly Girl Products & Ingredients
While I absolutely love EVOLVh, I know it seems pricey to some. This stuff lasts me an entire year and therefore is actually cheaper than budget brands, but I know the upfront cost is a barrier to some.
So here I list some more affordable curl girl friendly brands and products you can try. These are all cleaner as some do have fragrance or a questionable ingredient.
If you are picky about using clean ingredients then make sure you read the ingredients label before purchasing any of these. They are all curly girl method approved products so you only need to look for ingredients you're avoiding for other reasons.
With some of these, like Shea Moisture, they can cause buildup over time so you would need to clarify regularly (once a month). Also, ensure you're deep conditioning 1-4 times a month.
Fabulous Curls Academy
Fabulous Curls Academy offers the curly hair resources you need to master your curls and create the routine that will give you fabulous curls. Check out the digital downloads and courses to help you have the defined, bouncy curls you want. The monthly membership is the most affordable way to access everything you need to embrace your curls with success. Click here to learn more.
If there are other products you know of let me know so I can add them to the list. This list is specifically for nontoxic curly girl products so that is why I have left out some of the other popular brands and products.
Check out my Favorite Products for Fine Curly Hair if you have hair like mine and want to see what's working for me. You should also know your hair porosity to figure out which products will work best. Check out my Guide to Hair Porosity to figure that out and get more tips.
If you want help with embracing your naturally wavy or curly hair, you can join my FREE email course and download my FREE pdf guide, THE QUICK START GUIDE TO MASTERING YOUR CURLS, full of everything you need to know to get started and bring out your beautiful waves and curls.
You can also read my other popular posts on curly hair:
- A Basic Guide to the Curly Girl Method for Wavy & Curly Hair
- What Products You Really Need To Start The Curly Girl Method
- Curly Girl Method Routine for 2B 2C 3A Hair
- 50+ Curly Girl Method Approved Products
- Curly Girl Night Routine To Protect Your Curls At Night
- How To Refresh Curly Hair
- Tips For Fine & Low Density Curly Hair
- How To Clarify Curly Hair
- Rice Water Rinse Guide
- 14 Hacks For Curly and Wavy Hair
- How To Repair Damaged Curly Hair
- Curly Girl Method Before and After – 1 Year Progress Update
- Ultimate Guide to Hair Porosity for Curly Hair
- My Favorite Products for Fine Curly Hair
- 11 Surprising Reasons You Have Frizz + Tips to Beat Frizz
- Common Causes of Limp Curls & Their Fixes
- Guide to Humidity & Weather Styling
- EVOLVh Review
Also, follow me on Instagram as I'm always posting tips and tutorials.
I now also offer Curl & Clean Beauty Coaching sessions virtually! You can book a 15-minute, 30-minute, or 45-minute session with me to help you solve your curly hair or clean beauty struggles. Click here to learn more.