Nontoxic Budget Curly Girl Method Approved Products
Switching to the Curly Girl Method can get expensive as you experiment with different products or if you’re a product junkie. Finding affordable clean curly girl method approved products almost seems like a unicorn, as there are few brands and most are expensive.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy for more details.
While I absolutely love EVOLVh, I know it seems pricey to some. This stuff lasts me an entire year and therefore is actually cheaper than budget brands, but I know the upfront cost is a barrier to some.
So here I list some more affordable brands and products you can try. These are all cleaner as some do have fragrance or a questionable ingredient. If you are picky about using clean ingredients then make sure you read the ingredients label before purchasing any of these. They are all curly girl method approved products so you only need to look for ingredients you’re avoiding for other reasons.
With some of these, like Shea Moisture, they can cause buildup over time so you would need to clarify regularly (once a month). Also ensure you’re deep conditioning 1-4 times a month, which can be done using oils such as olive or coconut.
For more info on the curly girl method, check out my basic guide for both wavy and curly hair.
Clean & Curly Girl Approved Shampoo
- Acure Mega Moisture shampoo
- Acure Lemongrass shampoo (this shampoo is not clarifying even though it says it is on the label)
- Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo
- Desert Essence Organic Pure Shampoo Fragrance Free
- SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo
- Bounce Curl line
- Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo & Conditioner – 8 oz.(Bundle)
- As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner – Promotes Healthy Hair 16oz
- Cantu Cleansing Cream Shampoo
- Everyone Balance Shampoo
Clean & Curly Girl Approved Clarifying Shampoo
*Note: to be clarifying a shampoo must have the ingredient ofelin sulfonate
- Kinky Curly Come Clean clarifying shampoo
- Mop Top Gentle clarifying shampoo
- Mop Top Detox clarifying shampoo
- Inahsi Naturals clarifying shampoo
- Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo
View this post on Instagram
I wanted to share my results using @acurebeauty Mega Moisture shampoo and conditioner. These are both $11 at @target but you can get them for $7.99 from @vitacost ! #budgetcgmethod This is actually day 3 hair because I got sick a few hours after washing and was pretty much lying down all of day 2 so I’m really impressed with how my hair has held up. My thoughts on these products: The shampoo has a nice lather and light scent. It left my hair soft and moisturized, but clean. I didn’t feel residue like I do with some moisturizing shampoos. The conditioner has the same scent and is creamy. It actually hydrated more than I expected and I was even worried it would weigh down my hair but it didn’t. I had that seaweed feeling as I rinsed it out so I knew it was providing sufficient moisture for my hair. To style, I used @rhorawcurls gel. I diffused as usual and this is what I’m left with on day 3. So first impressions are great and I will keep experimenting with these and try styling with @evolvh next time to see how it turns out. Have you tried @acurebeauty hair products yet? How do you feel about them? . . . #curlycommunity #curlygirl #curlygirlmethod #naturallycurly #naturalwavyhair #curlyhairtips #curlyhaircare #curlyhairdontcare #curljunkie #teamcurly #curlsforthegirls #loveyourcurls #curlygirlsrock #cleancurls #curlscurlscurls #wavyhair #curlcommunity #curlfriends #greenbeauty #cleanbeauty #cgmethod #curlyhairproducts #curlyhairproblems #curls #saferbeauty #curlygirlcommunity #loveyourcurls #cleanbeautyrevolution #acurebeauty
Clean & Curly Girl Approved Conditioner
- Aubrey Organics – White Camellia Conditioner
- Desert Essence Fragrance Free Conditioner
- Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat conditioner
- Desert Essence Conditioner Coconut
- Nature’s Gate Jojoba Revitalizing Conditioner
- Bounce Curl line
- SheaMoisture 13 oz Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
- Cantu Cream Conditioner
- Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
- Mop Top Daily Conditioner
- Mop Top Light Conditioner
- Everyone Volume Conditioner
- Alaffia Everyday Shea conditioner
- Andalou Naturals Brilliant Shine conditioner
Clean & Curly Girl Approved Leave-in Conditioner
- Giovanni Direct Leave-in conditioner
- Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in conditioner
- Andalou Naturals Argan Oil leave-in conditioner
- Curls Blueberry Bliss leave-in conditioner
- Mop Top Bamboo Essence leave-in conditioner
Clean & Curly Girl Approved Deep Conditioner
- SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque
- Andalou Naturals Deep Conditioning Hair Mask
- Pacifica Pineapple Hydrate Mask
Clean & Curly Girl Approved Styling Products
- Giovanni L.A. Natural gel
- Giovanni Natural Mousse
- As I Am Smoothing Gel, 8 Ounce
- Bounce Curl Light Cream Gel
- Shea Moisture Weightless Styling Mousse
- SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie, 12 oz.
- SheaMoisture 7.5 oz Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse
- Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk 8 oz
- SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Souffle – 12 oz
- Kinky Curly Curl Custard Gel, 8 oz
- Uncle Funky’s Daughter
- Everyone Style Hair Gel
- Mill Creek Styling Gel
- Mop Top Curly Hair Custard
- Cantu Shea Butter Hair Curling Custard
I’ll only mention a few of the accessories I use on a regular basis to help keep my curls looking good and last between washes. None of these are necessary but they help.
- Hair buff
- hairdryer and diffuser attachment
- silk pillowcase
- satin pillowcase
- root clips
- hair towel
If there are others you know of let me know so I can add them to the list. This list is specifically for nontoxic curly girl products so that is why I have left out some of the other popular brands and products.
Check out my Favorite Products for Fine Curly Hair if you have hair like mine and want to see what’s working for me. You should also know your hair porosity to figure out which products will work best. Check out my Guide to Hair Porosity to figure that out and get more tips.
Click here for tips on product application and methods. I also have a few videos on Youtube, and below is one showing my whole routine.
If you want to learn more about the curly girl method download my free 10-page guide: HOW TO GET STARTED ON THE CURLY GIRL METHOD. You will learn how to follow the CG method in just a few steps and be on your way to beautiful waves and curls in no time!
You can also read my other popular posts on curly hair:
- A Basic Guide to the Curly Girl Method for Wavy & Curly Hair
- Curly Girl Method Routine for 2B 2C 3A Hair
- Curly Girl Night Routine To Protect Your Curls At Night
- 14 Hacks For Curly and Wavy Hair
- Curly Girl Method Before and After – 1 Year Progress Update
- Ultimate Guide to Hair Porosity for Curly Hair
- My Favorite Products for Fine Curly Hair
- 11 Surprising Reasons You Have Frizz + Tips to Beat Frizz
- Bounce Curl Review
- EVOLVh Review
Also, follow me on Instagram as I’m always posting tips and tutorials.