Switching to the Curly Girl Method can get expensive as you experiment with different products or if you're a product junkie.
Finding affordable AND clean curly girl method approved products almost seems like a unicorn, as there are few brands and most are expensive.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy for more details.
While I absolutely love EVOLVh, I know it seems pricey to some. This stuff lasts me an entire year and therefore is actually cheaper than budget brands, but I know the upfront cost is a barrier to some.
So here I list some more affordable brands and products you can try.
These are all cleaner as some do have fragrance or a questionable ingredient.
If you are picky about using clean ingredients then make sure you read the ingredients label before purchasing any of these. They are all curly girl method approved products so you only need to look for ingredients you're avoiding for other reasons.
With some of these, like Shea Moisture, they can cause buildup over time so you would need to clarify regularly (once a month).
Also ensure you're deep conditioning 1-4 times a month, which can be done using oils such as olive or coconut.
Ready to transform your frizz into defined, bouncy curls and waves? Join my free Quick Start Guide To Mastering Your Curls email course below and be on your way to fabulous curls in just a few steps!
Curly Girl Approved Shampoo
- Acure Mega Moisture shampoo
- Acure Lemongrass shampoo (this shampoo is not clarifying even though it says it is on the label)
- Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo
- Desert Essence Organic Pure Shampoo Fragrance Free
- SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo
- Bounce Curl line
- Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo & Conditioner – 8 oz.(Bundle)
- As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner – Promotes Healthy Hair 16oz
- Cantu Cleansing Cream Shampoo
- Everyone Balance Shampoo
Curly Girl Approved Clarifying Shampoo
*Note: to be clarifying a shampoo must have the ingredient ofelin sulfonate
- Kinky Curly Come Clean clarifying shampoo
- Mop Top Gentle shampoo
- Mop Top Detox clarifying shampoo
- Inahsi Naturals clarifying shampoo
- Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo
Curly Girl Approved Conditioner
- Aubrey Organics – White Camellia Conditioner
- Desert Essence Fragrance Free Conditioner
- Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat conditioner
- Desert Essence Conditioner Coconut
- Nature's Gate Jojoba Revitalizing Conditioner
- Bounce Curl line
- SheaMoisture 13 oz Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
- Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
- Mop Top Daily Conditioner
- Mop Top Light Conditioner
- Everyone Volume Conditioner
- Alaffia Everyday Shea conditioner
- Andalou Naturals Brilliant Shine conditioner
Curly Girl Approved Leave-in Conditioner
- Giovanni Direct Leave-in conditioner
- Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in conditioner
- Andalou Naturals Argan Oil leave-in conditioner
- Curls Blueberry Bliss leave-in conditioner
- Mop Top Bamboo Essence leave-in conditioner
- Cantu Natural leave-in conditioning cream
Curly Girl Approved Deep Conditioner
- SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque
- Andalou Naturals Deep Conditioning Hair Mask
- Pacifica Pineapple Hydrate Mask
- Garnier Fructis Avocado mask
Curly Girl Approved Styling Products
- Giovanni L.A. Natural gel
- Giovanni Natural Mousse
- As I Am Smoothing Gel, 8 Ounce
- Bounce Curl Light Cream Gel
- Shea Moisture Weightless Styling Mousse
- SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie, 12 oz.
- SheaMoisture 7.5 oz Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse
- Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk 8 oz
- SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Souffle – 12 oz
- Kinky Curly Curl Custard Gel, 8 oz
- Uncle Funky's Daughter
- Everyone Style Hair Gel
- Mill Creek Styling Gel
- Mop Top Curly Hair Custard
- Cantu Shea Butter Hair Curling Custard
- Eco Styler Gel Olive Oil
Curly Girl Method Accessories
I'll only mention a few of the accessories I use on a regular basis to help keep my curls looking good and last between washes. None of these are necessary but they help.
- Hair buff
- hairdryer and diffuser attachment
- silk pillowcase
- satin pillowcase
- root clips
- hair towel use code HOLISTICENCHILADA to save 15%
If you need more help in choosing specific products based on your hair type, check out my product finder, the FCME Product Matching Guide.
This guide will show you how to identify your hair type and characteristics, provide some styling tips, and list exact products that will work on your hair type. Click here for more info.
Master Your Wash Day
For help with your routine, check out my Master Your Wash Day mini course. This quick course will help you transform your frizzy hair into defined bouncy curls in just one day, by learning how to use the products you already have (even if they're not CG approved)!
If there are other products you know of let me know so I can add them to the list. This list is specifically for nontoxic curly girl products so that is why I have left out some of the other popular brands and products.
Check out my Favorite Products for Fine Curly Hair if you have hair like mine and want to see what's working for me. You should also know your hair porosity to figure out which products will work best. Check out my Guide to Hair Porosity to figure that out and get more tips.
Click here for tips on product application and methods. I also have a few videos on Youtube, and below is one showing my whole routine.
If you want to learn more about embracing your naturally wavy or curly hair, you can join my FREE email course and download my FREE pdf guide, THE QUICK START GUIDE TO MASTERING YOUR CURLS, full of everything you need to know to get started and bring back your beautiful waves and curls.
You can also read my other popular posts on curly hair:
- A Basic Guide to the Curly Girl Method for Wavy & Curly Hair
- What Products You Really Need To Start The Curly Girl Method
- Curly Girl Method Routine for 2B 2C 3A Hair
- 50+ Curly Girl Method Approved Products
- Curly Girl Night Routine To Protect Your Curls At Night
- How To Refresh Curly Hair
- Tips For Fine & Low Density Curly Hair
- How To Clarify Curly Hair
- Rice Water Rinse Guide
- 14 Hacks For Curly and Wavy Hair
- How To Repair Damaged Curly Hair
- Curly Girl Method Before and After – 1 Year Progress Update
- Ultimate Guide to Hair Porosity for Curly Hair
- My Favorite Products for Fine Curly Hair
- 11 Surprising Reasons You Have Frizz + Tips to Beat Frizz
- Common Causes of Limp Curls & Their Fixes
- Guide to Humidity & Weather Styling
- EVOLVh Review
Also, follow me on Instagram as I'm always posting tips and tutorials.
I now also offer Curl & Clean Beauty Coaching sessions virtually! You can book a 15-minute, 30-minute, or 45-minute session with me to help you solve your curly hair or clean beauty struggles. Click here to learn more.