In this post, I share the best products for my fine, low density, high porosity type 2b 2c 3a hair. These are lightweight curly girl products that help with volume but still define my curls. These would all be ideal products for low density fine curly hair.
Fine, Low-Density, High Porosity Hair
My hair is low density meaning I don’t have a lot, and very fine. So my hair gets weighed down by everything. I struggle with volume more than anything else and I prefer lightweight products for this reason. If you have more dense hair then these products may not be ideal for you.
In addition to being fine and low density, I have high porosity hair. Remember that high porosity hair tends to get wet quickly, stretches out when it’s wet, absorbs products easily, tangles easily, is easily over moisturized, and is more prone to dryness.
If you’re not sure what porosity your hair is, be sure to read my ultimate guide to hair porosity post.
Fine Curly Hair Problems
Fine curly hair is so different from other curly hair types. For so long, curly products have targeted thick, coarse curly hair and ignored us fine haired wavies and curlies but since the Curly Girl Method has gained popularity, more companies are coming out with product lines specifically for fine, curly and wavy hair.
I have a few favorites and don’t use the same products every day. Depending on how my hair feels and what I think it needs, I tend to rotate through the same bunch and use treatments as needed. But overall, these are the best products for fine curly hair that also work for my high porosity hair.
Hair Products for Low Density Fine Curly Hair
Shampoo For Low Density Fine Curly Hair
- EVOLVh SmartCurl – This shampoo has just enough moisture for my hair with lots of cleansing. I have found that this is too drying for people with more hair or really dry hair, but it’s just perfect for my fine curly hair.
- EVOLVh InstaVolume Cleansing Treatment – The most lightweight shampoo on this list, this will give you volume at the expense of moisture. This shampoo has the least moisture of all on this list.
- Raw Curls Wavy Swavy – This is very similar to the EVOLVh SmartCurl but a little more moisturizing. It’s very thin and runny and doesn’t really smell like anything, but works really well.
- Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat– This is great for anyone with a problematic scalp and is affordable. It’s not very moisturizing so great for fine curls.
- Giovanni Root 66 Max Volume Shampoo – Another affordable option that helps give volume. This is quite cleansing to help prevent flat, greasy roots.
- MopTop Salon Shampoo – This shampoo is also quite cleansing and is described as being drying by some. It works really well for me. Use code HE10 and save on MopTop.com.
- TWIST Hit Reset Light Clarifying Shampoo – Although this says clarifying it’s not that strong. It’s a stronger low poo that can be used daily for those who prefer a stronger cleanse on a regular basis. This has quickly become a favorite of mine.
Conditioner For Low Density Fine Curly Hair
- EVOLVh SmartCurl – Although this line is formulated for all curly hair, it’s very thin and lightweight and soaks right into the hair making it perfect for fine curly hair too. It softens and adds just the right amount of moisture. Again, this probably wouldn’t be enough for those with tighter or drier curls.
- Raw Curls Wavy Swavy – This conditioner is formulated for finer hair that doesn’t need as much moisture as most curly hair. This is one of my favorite lines and a great value.
- Giovanni Root 66 Max Volume Conditioner – This is a great affordable, water soluble conditioner that helps with volume.
- Jessicurl Aloeba Daily Conditioner – This regular conditioner is lightweight enough to be used by all curl types, but it has more moisture than other options listed here.
- MopTop Light Conditioner – Another conditioner made just for fine curly hair! It’s very lightweight and smells good. Their regular conditioner is also a favorite of mine and better if you need more moisture but still want a lightweight product. Use code HE10 to save on MopTop.com.
- TWIST Weather or Not Conditioner – If you need extra humidity protection then this is my recommendation. This lightweight conditioner softens hair instantly without weighing hair down. It also has light anti-humidity ingredients to help your style last. Use code HOLISTICENCHILADA to save on TWIST.com.
Leave-in Conditioner For Low Density Fine Curly Hair
I don't often use leave in but this is definitely my favorite. It has some protein, is lightweight, and creates a little definition.
- EVOLVh SmartVolume leave in conditioner – This is my favorite leave-in to use when I want volume, which is almost every wash day. I love that it’s a spray so I can control how much and exactly where it goes. This is the best leave in for fine curly hair.
- EVOLVh SmartStart leave in conditioner – This is similar to the SmartVolume but doesn’t provide volume. I use this when I need moisture over volume.
- Giovanni Direct leave in conditioner – This is a nice, creamy leave in that offers protein-free moisture. It’s pretty lightweight but heavier than the EVOLVh options.
- Briogeo Curl Charisma leave in– I love this for added definition and softness. It’s the perfect combination of moisture and definition that doesn’t weigh down my hair, and it has some protein. Plus it makes my hair so soft!
- Ecoslay Rice Pudding leave in – If your hair likes rice water rinses then this leave in would work great for you. It’s not heavy and instantly softens and clumps curls. I have used it as a rinse out as well.
- EVOLVh InstaVolume Conditioning Elixir – The InstaVolume line is just a shampoo and this leave in, no conditioner. So when used this way, you do get incredible volume. But again, very little moisture here. It’s not as softening as their other leave-ins.
Deep Conditioner For Low Density Fine Curly Hair
Lightweight moisture with a good amount of protein makes this mask a great pick for finer hair that tends to get weighed down by treatments.
Use code HE15 to save on your first order with EVOLVh.
- EVOLVh Ultrarepair Reconstructing Masque – I like this deep conditioner for when my hair needs some TLC but not as much moisture as the Shea Moisture mask provides. It has a lot of protein and is very lightweight.
- Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Treatment Masque – I love this affordable deep conditioner. It provides both moisture and protein so it’s perfect for my hair.
- Ecoslay Matcha Boost – Another protein heavy mask, this gives just a little moisture with a lot of protein. It never weighs down my curls and is the lightest of the others.
- Rawkyn Green Tea Mask – This is like a cleaner version of Shea Moisture deep conditioner. It has a lot of moisture and protein, so it’s not as lightweight as EVOLVh or Ecoslay.
Styling Products For Low Density Fine Curly Hair
For light moisture and humidity blocking ingredients, this is my go to gel. It provides a long lasting hold, good cast, and great definition.
- Raw Curls gel – This used to be my favorite one and done styler. It has a hard hold, provides lots of shine and definition, and doesn’t weigh down my hair.
- Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel – A great gel for humidity, this gel is extremely popular. It has a hard hold and is very popular because of how well it works on all curl types.
- Jessicurl Gelebration – This is a curl enhancer and gel created for fine curls. It’s similar to Spiralicious but more lightweight. *This is not a good choice as a single styler in high humidity.
- MopTop Curly Hair Custard – This is so lightweight and an incredible curl enhancer, but it has a lot of glycerin. It will give you a light cast and medium to strong hold. It also has a really nice citrus scent.
- Giovanni LA Natural Gel – This is very similar to the Raw Curls gel except that my hair gets a bit dry by day 3 with the Giovanni gel. It’s amazing for high humidity and dry environments so it’s very popular. Layer more leave-in underneath if your hair tends to be dry, and water this thick gel down when applying.
- DIY Flaxseed Gel – Flaxseed gel is the perfect blend of hold, definition, and moisture for fine hair. It won’t weigh it down, it creates a great cast to help minimize frizz, and it’s very lightweight so you still have volume. My recipe has a little extra protein which most fine curly hair needs.
I struggle with creams but this is a styling cream that doesn't offer much moisture. It provides light to medium hold, light texture, and volume. I can use this as a single styler and skip gel.
Use code HE15 to save on your first order with EVOLVh.
- EVOLVh SuperCurl Defining Cream – If you need more moisture than the Total Control Creme offers and don’t care about adding texture or volume, then this is a better choice. Just be sure not to use too much.
- Evolvh Total Control Styling Creme – My favorite product for soft, bouncy, and defined curls. It provides moisture and has light to medium hold but my curls do well with this anyway. It’s so lightweight so I get the most volume and definition with this. This is my top recommendation if you want volume.
- Ecoslay Orange Marmalade – This is a firm hold curl definer that really lives up to its reputation. It’s a cream that has a sweet orange scent, and is used in place of or under gel. You’ll get a good cast, minimal frizz, and curl enhancing definition.
This is the best serum for smoothing, controlling frizz, and adding shine and definition. It makes a great finishing product for all hair types but helps with humid and dry conditions, and has heat protection. It's pricey but there really is nothing else like this.
Use code HE to save on your first order with EVOLVh.
- Treluxe ReFlex Serum – This liquidy serum is amazing for my fine curly hair. It provides flexible hold, tons of shine, and really smooths out my curls. I can use it on its own to style but most people need to layer something else over it. Be warned, the scent is strong. I wish it didn’t have such a strong scent but I use it away because it’s just so good. Use code holisticenchilada15 to save.
- Evolvh WonderBalm – This is like a styling serum for your hair. I don’t use this on its own but you can. I like to cocktail this with the Total Control gel for even softer, shinier curls. This provides lots of moisture and shine, almost like an oil.
Innersense I Create Lift Foam – The most lightweight mousse/foam. This gives me nice, bouncy curls with enough definition and shine as long as I use enough. It’s amazing for fine curly hair and wavy hair.
EVOLVh InstaVolume Foam – Yes, yet another EVOLVh product on this list. This brand just makes the best products for fine curly hair! This foam is SO GOOD too! It really adds volume, BUT it’s not a single styler. Layer a pump or two under their cream or a gel for best results.
NYM Plump For Joy Dry Shampoo – This is NOT cg approved because it contains alcohol. It’s also not clean but it’s truly the best dry shampoo I have used so far. It comes in a spray form, really adds volume, and soaks up all the grease in the roots.
Low Density Fine Curly Hair Treatments
In addition to washing and styling with these products, I do protein treatments and clarify on a regular basis. High porosity hair needs protein and clarifying on a regular basis so don’t forget these.
I use the protein heavy deep conditioners on this list as my protein treatments.
In addition, I like to do rice water rinses once a month to help keep my curls bouncy. You’ll know you need this when your curls start to look stretched out. But do know, rice water is not truly a protein treatment!
I also use an apple cider vinegar spray or rinse once every few weeks, although this is not truly clarifying. I dilute some ACV into water in a large bottle and either spray on my scalp or pour over my head. It helps with my itchy scalp and provides some shine to the length of my hair.
I deep condition on dirty hair because it doesn’t over moisturize this way. On wash day, I wet my hair and apply the deep conditioner. I leave it on as I soap up which takes a few minutes, then I rinse and continue with the regular wash and style. I do use regular conditioner again after shampooing. This is the only way I can deep condition without weighing down my hair. This is known as pre pooing, and you can read more about that here.
If you need more help choosing specific products based on your hair type, check out my product finder, the Curly Product Handbook.
If you need help finding the right products for your hair, then the Curly Product Handbook can help!
Determine your hair type, learn about products and ingredients, and choose from a list of vetted products based on your hair type.
If you found this helpful, please share and pin!