In this post, I share the best high porosity hair products for my fine, low density type 2b 2c 3a hair. These are lightweight curly girl products that help with volume but still define my curls.
Fine, Low-Density High Porosity Hair
Remember that high porosity hair tends to get wet quickly, stretches out when it's wet, absorbs products easily, tangles easily, is easily over moisturized, and is more prone to dryness.
If you're not sure what porosity your hair is, be sure to read my ultimate guide to hair porosity post.
In addition to being high porosity, my hair is low density meaning I don't have a lot, and very fine. So my hair gets weighed down by everything. I struggle with volume more than anything else and I prefer lightweight products for this reason. If you have more dense hair then these products may not be ideal for you.
Ready to transform your frizz into defined, bouncy curls and waves? Join my free Quick Start Guide To Mastering Your Curls email course below and be on your way to fabulous curls in just a few steps!
Fine Curly Hair Problems
Fine curly hair is so different from other curly hair types. For so long, curly products have targeted thick, coarse curly hair and ignored us fine haired wavies and curlies but since the Curly Girl Method has gained popularity, more companies are coming out with product lines specifically for fine, curly and wavy hair.
I have a few favorites and don't use the same products every day. Depending on how my hair feels and what I think it needs, I tend to rotate through the same bunch and use treatments as needed. But overall, these are the best products for fine curly hair that also work for my high porosity hair.
High Porosity Hair Products for Fine 2B 2C 3A Hair
Shampoo For Fine Curly Hair
- EVOLVh SmartCurl – This shampoo has just enough moisture for my hair with lots of cleansing. I have found that this is too drying for people with more hair or really dry hair, but it's just perfect for my fine curly hair.
- EVOLVh InstaVolume Cleansing Treatment – The most lightweight shampoo on this list, this will give you volume at the expense of moisture.
- Raw Curls Wavy Swavy – Ths is very similar to the EVOLVh SmartCurl but a little more moisturizing. It's very thin and runny and doesn't really smell like anything, but works really well.
- Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat– This is great for anyone with a problematic scalp and is affordable. It's not very moisturizing so great for fine curls.
- Giovanni Root 66 Max Volume Shampoo – Another affordable option that helps give volume. This is quite cleansing to help prevent flat, greasy roots.
- MopTop Salon Shampoo – This shampoo is also quite cleansing and is described as being drying by some. It works really well for me.
Conditioner For Fine Curly Hair
- EVOLVh SmartCurl – Although this line is formulated for all curly hair, it's very thin and lightweight and soaks right into the hair making it perfect for fine curly hair too. It softens and adds just the right amount of moisture. Again, this probably wouldn't be enough for those with tighter or dier curls.
- Raw Curls Wavy Swavy – This conditioner is formulated for finer hair that doesn't need as much moisture as most curly hair. This is one of my favorite lines and a great value.
- Giovanni Root 66 Max Volume Conditioner – This is a great affordable,w after soluble conditioner that helps with volume.
- Jessicurl Aloeba Daily Conditioner – This regular conditioner is lightweight enough to be used by all curl types, but it has more moisture than other options listed here.
- MopTop Light Conditioner – Another conditioner made just for fine curly hair! It's very lightweight and smells good.
Leave-in Conditioner For Fine Curly Hair
- EVOLVh SmartVolume leave in conditioner – This is my favorite leave-in to use when I want volume, which is almost every wash day. I love that it's a spray so I can control how much and exactly where it goes. This is the best leave in for fine curly hair.
- EVOLVh SmartStart leave in conditioner – This is similar to the SmartVolume but doesn't provide volume. I use this when I need moisture over volume.
- Giovanni Direct leave in conditioner – This is a nice, creamy leave in that offers protein-free moisture. It's pretty lightweight but heavier than the EVOLVh options.
- Briogeo Curl Charisma leave in– I love this for added definition and softness. It's the perfect combination of moisture and definition that doesn't weigh down my hair, and it has some protein. Plus it makes my hair so soft!
- Ecoslay Rice Pudding leave in – If your hair likes rice water rinses then this leave in would work great for you. It's not heavy and instantly softens and clumps curls.
- EVOLVh InstaVolume Conditioning Elixir – The InstaVolume line is just a shampoo and this leave in, no conditioner. So when used this way, you do get incredible volume. But again, very little moisture here. It's not as softening as their other leave-ins.
Deep Conditioner For Fine Curly Hair
- EVOLVh Ultrarepair Reconstructing Masque – I like this deep conditioner for when my hair needs some TLC but not as much moisture as the Shea Moisture mask provides. It has a lot of protein and is very lightweight.
- Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Treatment Masque – I love this affordable deep conditioner. It provides both moisture and protein so it's perfect for my hair.
- Ecoslay Matcha Boost – Another protein heavy mask, this gives just a little moisture with a lot of protein. It never weighs down my curls and is the lightest of the others.
- Rawkyn Green Tea Mask – This is like a cleaner version os Shea Moisture deep conditioner. It has a lot of moisture and protein, so it's not as lightweight as EVOLVh or Ecoslay.
Styling Products For Fine Curly Hair
- Raw Curls gel – This is my favorite one and done styler. It has a hard hold, provides lots of shine and definition, and doesn't weigh down my hair.
- Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel – Another great gel for humidity, this gel is extremely popular. It has a hard hold and is very popular because of how well it works on all curl types.
- Jessicurl Gelebration – This is a curl enhancer and gel created for fine curls. It's similar to Spiralicious but more lightweight.
- MopTop Curly Hair Custard – This is so lightweight and an incredible curl enhancer, but it has a lot of glycerin. It will give you a light cast and medium to strong hold. It also has a really nice citrus scent.
- Giovanni LA Natural Gel – This is very similar to the Raw Curls gel except that my hair gets a bit dry by day 3 with the Giovanni gel. It's amazing for high humidity and dry environments so it's very popular. Layer more leave-in underneath if your hair tends to be dry.
- DIY Flaxseed Gel – Flaxseed gel is the perfect blend of hold, definition, and moisture for fine hair. It won't weigh it down, it creates a great cast to help minimise frizz, and it's very lightweight so you still have volume. My recipe has a little extra protein which most fine curly hair needs.
- Evolvh Total Control Styling Creme – My favorite product for soft, bouncy, and defined curls. It provides moisture and has light to medium hold but my curls do well with this anyway. It's so lightweight so I get the most volume and definition with this. This is my top recommendation if you want volume.
- Ecoslay Orange Marmalade – This is a firm hold curl definer that really lives up to its reputation. It's a cream that has a sweet orange scent, and is used in place of or under gel. You'll get a good cast, minimal frizz, and curl enhancing definition.
- Treluxe ReFlex Serum – This liquidy serum is amazing for my fine curly hair. It provides flexible hold, tons of shine, and really smooths out my curls. I can use it on its own to style but most people need to layer something else over it. Be warned, the scent is strong. I wish it didn't have such a strong scent but I use it away because it's just so good. Use code holisticenchilada15 to save.
- Evolvh WonderBalm – This is like a styling serum for your hair. I don't use this on its own but you can. I like to cocktail this with the Total Control gel for even softer, shinier curls. This provides lots of moisture and shine, almost like an oil.
Innersense I Create Lift Foam – The most lightweight mousse/foam. This gives me nice, bouncy curls with enough definition and shine as long as I use enough. It's amazing for fine curly hair and wavy hair.
NYM Plump For Joy Dry Shampoo – This is NOT cg approved because it contains alcohol. It's also not clean but it's truly the best dry shampoo I have used so far. It comes in a spray form, really adds volume, and soaks up all the grease in the roots.
High Porosity Fine Curly Hair Treatments
In addition to washing and styling with these products, I do protein treatments and clarify on a regular basis. High porosity hair needs protein and clarifying on a regular basis so don't forget these.
I use the protein heavy deep conditioners on this list as my protein treatments.
In addition, I like to do rice water rinses once a month to help keep my curls bouncy. You'll know you need this when your curls start to look stretched out. But do know, rice water is not truly a protein treatment!
I also use an apple cider vinegar spray or rinse once every few weeks, although this is not truly clarifying. I dilute some ACV into water in a large bottle and either spray on my scalp or pour over my head. It helps with my itchy scalp and provides some shine to the length of my hair.
I deep condition on dirty hair because it doesn't over moisturize this way. On wash day, I wet my hair and apply the deep conditioner. I leave it on as I soap up which takes a few minutes, then I rinse and continue with the regular wash and style. I do use regular conditioner again after shampooing. This is the only way I can deep condition without weighing down my hair.
If you need more help choosing specific products based on your hair type, check out my product finder, the Curly Product Handbook.
This guide will show you how to identify your hair type and characteristics, provide some styling tips, and list exact products that will work on your hair type. Click here for more info.
If you want help with embracing your naturally wavy or curly hair, you can join my FREE email course and download my FREE pdf guide, THE QUICK START GUIDE TO MASTERING YOUR CURLS, full of everything you need to know to get started and bring out your beautiful waves and curls.
You can also read my other popular posts on curly hair:
- A Basic Guide to the Curly Girl Method for Wavy & Curly Hair
- What Products You Really Need To Start The Curly Girl Method
- Curly Girl Method Routine for 2B 2C 3A Hair
- 50+ Curly Girl Method Approved Products
- Curly Girl Night Routine To Protect Your Curls At Night
- How To Refresh Curly Hair
- Tips For Fine & Low Density Curly Hair
- How To Clarify Curly Hair
- Rice Water Rinse Guide
- 14 Hacks For Curly and Wavy Hair
- How To Repair Damaged Curly Hair
- Curly Girl Method Before and After – 1 Year Progress Update
- Ultimate Guide to Hair Porosity for Curly Hair
- My Favorite Products for Fine Curly Hair
- 11 Surprising Reasons You Have Frizz + Tips to Beat Frizz
- Common Causes of Limp Curls & Their Fixes
- Guide to Humidity & Weather Styling
- EVOLVh Review
If you found this helpful, please share and pin!
Fabulous Curls Academy
Fabulous Curls Academy is my monthly membership program that gives you access to several online courses that will guide you through creating a simple routine that gives you fabulous results. Learn what your hair type is, which products and ingredients will work for you, and how to style according to your hair type by creating a simple routine that works. No more confusion about products or methods or battling frizz and time. Click here for more info.
Curl & Clean Beauty Coaching
I now also offer Curl & Clean Beauty Coaching sessions virtually! You can book a 15-minute, 30-minute, or 45-minute session with me to help you solve your curly hair or clean beauty struggles. Click here to learn more.