In this post, I share my favorite high porosity hair products for my fine, low density type 2b 2c 3a hair.
After my last post on determining hair porosity, I got lots of questions about products for each porosity type. While I’d love to be able to recommend something for all types, I can only recommend based on my experiences and I have high porosity hair.
If you’re not sure what porosity your hair is, be sure to read my ultimate guide to hair porosity post.
Fine, Low-Density High Porosity Hair
Remember that high porosity hair tends to get wet quickly, stretches out when it’s wet, absorbs products easily, tangles easily, is easily over moisturized, and is more prone to dryness.
In addition to these, my hair is low density meaning I don’t have a lot, and very fine. So my hair gets weighed down by everything. I struggle with volume more than anything else and I prefer lightweight products for this reason. If you have more dense hair then these products may not be ideal for you.
Fine curly hair is so different from other curly hair types. For so long, curly products have targeted thick, coarse curly hair and ignored us fine haired wavies and curlies but since the Curly Girl Method has gained popularity, more companies are coming out with product lines specifically for fine, curly and wavy hair.
I have a few favorites and don’t use the same products every day. Depending on how my hair feels and what I think it needs, I tend to rotate through the same bunch and use treatments as needed. But overall, these are the best products for fine curly hair that also work for my high porosity hair.
This post contains affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will make a commission if you click through to make a purchase. Please read our disclosure policy for more details.
High Porosity Hair Products for Fine 2B 2C 3A Hair
- Evolvh SmartCurl – This is my daily shampoo. It has just enough moisture for my hair with lots of cleansing. I have found that this is too drying for people with more hair or really dry hair, but it’s just perfect for my fine curly hair.
- Raw Curls Wavy Swavy – Ths is very similar to the Evolvh SmartCurl but a little more moisturizing. I reach for this when I need a little more moisture but I’m not quite ready for a deep conditioning treatment. It’s very thin and runny.
- Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat– This is great for my scalp. It feels so refreshing and it has a lot of suds. It’s pretty similar to the other 2 shampoos but I can definitely notice a difference in the quality so I couldn’t use this on a daily basis.
- Briogeo Scalp Revival Exfoliating Shampoo – I love this exfoliating and refreshing shampoo. It’s a bit pricey and I can get the same effects by adding some sugar to my Giovanni shampoo but it’s still a good option
- Evolvh SmartCurl – This is my daily conditioner. It’s very thin and lightweight and soaks right into the hair making it perfect for fine curly hair. It softens and adds just the right amount of moisture. Again, this probably wouldn’t be enough for those with tighter or dier curls.
- Raw Curls – This is a more hydrating conditioner. It’s thicker and I reach for this when I need a little boost of moisture.
- Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair Mask– This is my favorite moisturizing deep conditioner. It’s nice and thick and works in just a few minutes.
- Evolvh Ultrarepair Reconstructing Masque – I like this deep conditioner for when my hair needs some TLC but not as much moisture as the Briogeo mask provides.
- Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Treatment Masque – I love this affordable deep conditioner. It provides both moisture and protein so it’s perfect for my hair.
- Evolvh SmartVolume leave in conditioner – This is my favorite leave-in to use when I want volume, which is almost every wash day. I love that it’s a spray so I can control how much and exactly where it goes. This is the best leave in for fine curly hair.
- Evolvh SmartStart leave in conditioner – This is similar to the SmartVolume but doesn’t provide volume. I use this when I need moisture over volume.
- Giovanni Direct leave in conditioner – This is a nice, creamy leave in that I can use when I want something a little more than the spray.
- Briogeo Curl Charisma leave in– I love this for added definition and softness. It’s the perfect combination of moisture and definition that doesn’t weigh down my hair, and it has some protein. Plus it makes my hair so soft!
- Evolvh Total Control Styling Creme – My favorite product for soft, bouncy, and defined curls. It provides moisture and has very little hold but my curls do well with this anyway. It’s so lightweight so I get the most volume and definition with this.
- Giovanni Natural Mousse – The most lightweight option. This gives me nice, bouncy curls but it’s not as moisturizing as Evolvh so I have to pair it with moisturizing products like Raw Curls. It’s amazing for fine curly hair and wavy hair.
- Raw Curls gel – This is my favorite one and done styler. It has a hard hold, provides lots of shine and definition, and doesn’t weigh down my hair. It’s great for high humidity days.
- Giovanni LA Natural Gel – This is very similar to the Raw Curls gel but again, my hair gets a bit dry by day 3.
- Evolvh WonderBalm – This is like a styling serum for your hair. I don’t use this on its own but you can. I like to cocktail this with the Total Control gel for even softer, shinier curls. This provides lots of moisture and shine, almost like an oil.
High Porosity Hair Treatments
In addition to washing and styling with these products, I do protein treatments and clarify on a regular basis. High porosity hair needs protein and clarifying on a regular basis so don’t forget these.
I like to do rice water rinses twice a month to get my protein in and help keep my curls bouncy. You’ll know you need this when your curls start to look stretched out.
I clarify once a month by using Devacurl Buildup Buster or Kinky Curly Come Clean. I also use an apple cider vinegar spray or rinse once a week. I dilute some ACV into water in a large bottle and either spray on my scalp or pour over my head. It helps with my itchy scalp and provides some shine to the length of my hair.
I also deep condition on dirty hair because it doesn’t over moisturize this way. On wash day, I wet my hair and apply the deep conditioner. I leave it on as I soap up which takes a few minutes, then I rinse and continue with the regular wash and style. I do use regular conditioner again after shampooing. This is the only way I can deep condition without weighing down my hair.
If you want to learn more about the Curly Girl Method you can download my free 10 page guide How To Get Started On The Curly Girl Method.
You can also read my other popular posts on curly hair:
- Curly Girl Method Routine for 2B 2C 3A Hair
- Budget Friendly and Clean Curly Girl Method Approved Products
- Curly Girl Night Routine To Protect Your Curls At Night
- 14 Hacks For Curly and Wavy Hair
- Curly Girl Method Before and After – 1 Year Progress Update
If you found this helpful, please share and pin!