Toxic Ingredients In Our Beauty Products
Have you come across any of those articles going around about lead and other toxic ingredients lurking in your makeup?
And many people are not aware that the FDA does not regulate cosmetics. The ingredients most companies use to color cosmetics are derived from petroleum and coal tar which are known carcinogens. This results in many products containing small amounts of heavy metals. When used daily over a long period of time, these small doses are absorbed by your body and the doses add up to damaging levels.
Many of the big name and even luxury brands like Revlon, Maybelline, Nars, Mac, Cover Girl, Avon, Sonia Kashuk, L’Oreal, and Laura Mercier contain these harmful ingredients.
One of the most common ingredients in red lipstick is Red Lake Dyes, a synthetic colorant that is considered a class 3 carcinogen with skin absorption detected.
Nail polish is not excluded from here. The EWG has an article which cites a study that “found that all women had a metabolite of triphenyl phosphate, or TPHP, in their bodies just 10 to 14 hours after painting their nails. Their levels of diphenyl phosphate or DPHP, which forms when the body metabolizes TPHP, had increased by nearly sevenfold.”
Luckily, there are tons of great, high performing nontoxic makeup brands you can choose from.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy for more details.
Switch To Affordable Nontoxic Makeup
Some of these brands are more affordable than others so depending on your budget, I recommend you sign up for newsletters to watch out for sales. I usually buy my personal care products around the holidays during the sales and it lasts me the whole year. Start with one product at a time. You don’t need to overhaul your whole stash at once.
All of the brands below I have personally used and recommend.
- Ilia – They have amazing lipsticks made with mostly organic ingredients. Very moisturizing, long lasting, and many shades to choose from.
- Hynt Beauty – The BEST concealer and mascara. The concealer is full coverage so you need a tiny amount. The mascara doesn’t flake and gives lots of volume and length. They have lots of other nice makeup too. They have a coupon for first time buyers.
- 100% Pure – Love their palettes, matte lipsticks, and BB cream. Purchase through this link to get free shipping. See below for 2 looks creating using all 100% Pure products.
- Au Naturale – Organic makeup. They have a great cream foundation for dryer skin types. I love their highlighter and bronzer sticks and the Su/stain lip stains are amazing.
- Zoya – Great nontoxic nail polish in too many shades.
- Lily Lolo – They have the green beauty cult mascara and gorgeous eye palettes.
- W3ll People – Another great mascara, and lots of other nontoxic makeup.
- RMS Beauty – Nontoxic makeup and skincare. They have a good medium coverage concealer and luminizer.
- Root Pretty – So much beautiful nontoxic makeup in a wide variety of colors.
- Alima Pure – High performing mineral makeup with a very popular foundation.
- Pure Anada – Very affordable nontoxic makeup brand
- Modern Minerals – pretty popular nontoxic makeup and some skincare
- Honeybee Gardens – affordable natural makeup on Amazon
- Honest Beauty – affordable natural makeup on Amazon
- Clove and Hallow – Amazing highly pigmented makeup line on Amazon
- Plume – eyebrow pomade that helps your eyebrows grow in fuller (35% discount with my link)
- Green Philosophy Beauty Corner – Green beauty shop with a mix of affordable and luxury brands. The looks I did below used products from this shop.
Credo Beauty – This is a shop with many different brands. They have rewards and often have gifts with purchase.
The Detox Market – Another green beauty shop with lots of different makeup and skincare brands. They have a coupon for first-time buyers. They also have a great sample program.
The Choosy Chick – Yet another one stop shop for green beauty. They also have a coupon for first time buyers.
Nontoxic Beauty Boxes
I also really like beauty subscription boxes for trying and finding new natural, organic, and nontoxic makeup.
Petit Vour is my favorite affordable beauty subscription box. It’s only $18 a month and includes 4-5 nontoxic and cruelty-free beauty products. You even get cash back rewards for reviewing the products you receive in the box! See a few of the boxes I’ve gotten below.
Looking for more budget friendly nontoxic makeup and skincare?
Be sure to download my Ultimate Guide to Green Beauty On A Budget which is a free 10 page download with everything you need to help you switch over to natural skincare and makeup without breaking the bank. It has information on ingredients, certifications, budget brands and shops, and my favorite products with shoppable links! Click the image below to download your free guide.