SPK lives in the Northeastern US and has naturally wavy and curly, low density, and medium to low porosity hair. She is currently dealing with some thinning but has embraced her natural hair for the last 18 years. Read on to learn more about her curly hair journey.
Ready to transform your frizz into defined, bouncy curls and waves? Join my free Quick Start Guide To Mastering Your Curls email course below and be on your way to fabulous curls in just a few steps!
What was it like growing up with textured hair?
I wore my hair straight mostly.
What made you decide to transition to wearing your hair curly/wavy?
Decided to go with the natural look about 18 years ago.
What has been the most difficult part of your curly hair journey?
My hair is thinning, most likely because of some medications I need to take; therefore, I use Rogaine (now every other – to every 3rd day – used to be daily). The Rogaine tends to dry out my hair, but I use product, also, to keep it as healthy as possible. I have probably 2A-2B hair.
What has surprised you most about your curly hair journey?
I thought it would be easier than washing my hair daily and drying it straight – NOT QUITE! The easier part is that I can wash it now every 3rd or 4th day – depending on how much Rogaine slips out of the foam container!
How have other people reacted to your hair transformation and journey?
Most really like it!
What's the most important thing you learned on your curly hair journey?
Using different products, diffusing differently than when I wore my hair straight, using a microfiber towel to dry, creating a cast before drying, deep conditioning, etc.
What do you love most about embracing your natural hair?
I really love the look when it works out right!
What are your curly girl essentials?
Curly recommended shampoo and conditioner, leave-in conditioner, gel, diffuser, microfiber towel, etc.
What is your current curly hair routine?
Wash every 3-4 days, deep conditioning approx. 1X per month, leave-in conditioner, gel, other curly hair products as needed.
Is there any technique or product that made a significant difference on your hair?
I think all of the above have helped
What is your top tip for others on their curly hair journey?
Read everything you can about caring for curly hair – it's not at all like straight hair…read, read, read, and learn, learn, learn!
Want to be featured on The Holistic Enchilada's Curly Chronicles? Submit your story here.
Looking for curly hair tips? Check out these popular posts:
- A Basic Guide to the Curly Girl Method for Wavy & Curly Hair
- What Products You Really Need To Start The Curly Girl Method
- Curly Girl Method Routine for 2B 2C 3A Hair
- 50+ Curly Girl Method Approved Products
- Curly Girl Night Routine To Protect Your Curls At Night
- How To Refresh Curly Hair
- Tips For Fine & Low Density Curly Hair
- How To Clarify Curly Hair
- Rice Water Rinse Guide
- 14 Hacks For Curly and Wavy Hair
- How To Repair Damaged Curly Hair
- Curly Girl Method Before and After – 1 Year Progress Update
- Ultimate Guide to Hair Porosity for Curly Hair
- My Favorite Products for Fine Curly Hair
- 11 Surprising Reasons You Have Frizz + Tips to Beat Frizz
- Common Causes of Limp Curls & Their Fixes
- Guide to Humidity & Weather Styling
- EVOLVh Review
If you want help with embracing your naturally wavy or curly hair, you can join my FREE email course and download my FREE pdf guide, THE QUICK START GUIDE TO MASTERING YOUR CURLS, full of everything you need to know to get started and bring out your beautiful waves and curls.